Alliance Law Firm Partners
Theophilus is an Associate Partner in the Firm’s dispute resolution practice group. He obtained his LL.B (Hons.) degree from Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma in 1994 and was called to the Nigerian Bar on 22nd March, 1995.
He had short stints with the law firms of Colins Aimuan & Co. and Tony Merah & Co. before joining Messrs Layi Babatunde & Co. in 2001 where he carried on law practice as Senior Counsel until February, 2004. He moved to Messrs Clarke, Paiko & Co. in March, 2004 as a Senior Counsel and became the Head of Chambers in 2005, a position he held until he left the firm on 28th October, 2016. His responsibilities included advising clients on numerous aspects of the law, drafting of pleadings & commercial agreements, representing clients in various courts, supervising & assigning tasks to colleagues in chambers among others.
Mr. Ochonogor, a good team player, has been privileged to work closely with Tony Merah, Esq, a very knowledgeable and meticulous Counsel, and two of the finest and most successful legal practitioners in Nigeria, namely, Layi Babatunde, SAN and Robert Clarke, SAN. Over the years, he has acquired a wealth of experience in litigation in various fields of law such as Labour Law, Family Law, Banking, Commercial Law, Constitutional Law, Oil & Gas Law, General Civil Law, Law of Contracts, Law of Torts, Land Law, etc. Furthermore, Mr. Ochonogor has developed considerable skills in research, writing, legal drafting and advocacy and is versed in the arts of cross – examination and brief writing. He appears regularly at the Federal and States’ High Courts, the National Industrial Court, the Investments and Securities Tribunal, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
Some of the cases in which Mr. Ochonogor was involved have been reported in various law reports including the following cases:
- Mark V. Abubakar (2009) 2 NWLR (Pt 1124) 79;
- Mrs Mudasiru V. Abdullahi (2011) 7 NWLR (Pt 1247) 591;
- Feed & Food Farms (Nig) Ltd V. NNPC (2009) 6-7 SC 1;
- Major Bello Mogaji V. The Nigeria Army (2003) 2-3 Sc (Pt ) 146;
- Senator Ladoja V. INEC & Ors (2007) 7 SC 99; (2007)12 NWLR (1047) 119;
- Senator Ladoja V. INEC & Ors (2007)12 NWLR (1047) 97; and
- Ibikunle V. State (2005) 1NWLR (Pt. 907) 387.
In addition to the above cases, there are other cases which Mr. Ochonogor has personally handled which are not yet reported in the law reports such as:
- Korean National Oil Corporation & 4 Ors V. The President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria & 5 Ors;
- Owel Petroleum Services Nigeria Limited V. Korea National Oil Corporation & 9 Ors; Mr Elias Antoun Dahboul V. The Governor Of Kano State & 2 Ors;
- Alhaji Alhassan Aminu Dantata & Ors. V. Mr Elias Antoun Dahboul;
- Apapa Local Government Council V. National Clearing And Forwarding Agency & Anor;
- National Clearing And Forwarding Agency & Anor. V. Apapa Local Government Council;
- Saidu Ahmed & 2 Ors V. Central Bank Of Nigeria;
- Thomas Kingsley Securities Ltd & Anor. V. Securities And Exchange Commission & 9 Ors; and
- Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation V. Marcon Steel Company Limited & Anor.
Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma (LLB)
Nigeria Law School (BL)
Nigerian Bar Association
International Bar Association