Uche Val Obi, SAN
Alliance Law Firm Partners
Uche is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (an equivalent of Queens Counsel in the UK) and the Managing Partner of Alliance Law Firm. He heads the firm’s transaction, commercial and dispute resolution practice. His skill and insight to simplify and proffer solutions to complex issues have been highly commended by the clients of the firm and peers. He is ranked as a top and leading lawyer in Chambers 500 and International Financial Law Ranking (IFLR) and has received a number of local and international awards. He is a notable contributor to the IMF/World Bank Doing Business Guide publications and the author of “Class Actions in Nigeria” – a pioneer book on the subject in Nigeria.
He has advised on a wide range of matters in oil & gas, power, capital markets, power, banking and finance, corporate restructuring including mergers and acquisitions, infrastructure, project finance, and regulatory advisory services. He also advises companies operating in the Nigeria oil and gas industry on compliance and restructuring issues arising from the Nigeria Oil and Gas Industry Content Development Act 2010.
Uche is the fourth Chairman of the Capital Market Solicitors Association (“CMSA”), a member of the ministerial committee that recommended the recently implemented 26 billion (US$170 million USD) forebearance of debts granted to stockbrokers by the Federal Government of Nigeria as announced by the Minister of Finance/CME. He is also a member of the Capital Market Master Plan Committee set up by the Securities and Exchange Commission, and has served as a council member of the Nigeria Bar Association – section on Business Law, and a member of the National Technical Committee for the Implementation of E-Dividend in Nigeria. He is currently the CMSA coordinator of the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office Emerging Capital Market Project comprising Lawyers of the UK Law Society of England and Wales and Nigerian Lawyers.
He has been listed amongst the topmost integrity-driven professionals in Nigeria by the major newspapers including The Guardian and Thisday, and has contributed over 40 published articles in the areas of capital market, business and investment laws in the Business Day Law Specialist Section. Uche has also co-facilitated several seminars. He is ranked as a Leading Lawyer by the IFLR 1000 in Corporate, Financial and Energy Practice Areas.
To the extent that they may be disclosed, some of the assignments in respect of which he has been involved include the following:
- Advised Nestoil Plc in connection with the US$1 billion Nembe Creek-Canthorne Channel 24/30 Trunk Line replacement project awarded by Shell Petroleum Development Company.
- Advised Neconde Energy Limited on its acquisition of 45% participatory interest in OML.
Imo State University (LL.B Hons)
Nigerian Law School (BL)
Abubakar Tafawa University (MBA)
University of Lagos (LL.M)
Harvard Executive Business School
Nigerian Bar Association
International Bar Association
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, United Kingdom
Fellow, Institute of Direct Marketing of Nigeria
Federal reporting Council of Nigeria
Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
International Law Association
- Chairman, Capital Market Solicitors Association.
- Member, Editorial Board of Capital Market Solicitors Association Quarterly News Review
- Member, National Technical Committee on the Implementation of E-Dividend in Nigeria
- Member, Committee for the Revision of the Rules of the Administrative Proceedings Committee of the Securities & Exchange
- Commission of Nigeria
- Member, Capital Market Master Plan Committee
- Nigerian Coordinator of the United Kingdom Foreign and Commonwealth Office Emerging Capital Market Project comprising UK Lawyers of the Law Society of England and Wales and Nigerian Lawyers.
- Member, Committee on Arbitration, International Law Association