Intellectual Property, Media, Entertainment and Technology Practice
This practice area focuses on providing legal advisory services to clients relating to the development, processing and, protecting and enforcing of their intellectual property rights. It also handles briefs and instructions that are common in the entertainment, media and sport sectors ranging from protecting creative rights of artistes at an infantile stage; advising on brand protection and licensing; validity and infringement matters; filing trademark applications, including renewals and cancellations; review and negotiation of contracts for managers, publicists, record labels, film studios, artistes and sports men and women, sports club; performing searches at the Trademark registry; tax issues; legal representation at all dispute resolution fora; domain registration with the National Information Technology Development Agency; registering, licensing, franchising, and technology transfer agreements;registering products with the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and the Standards Organisation of Nigeria; advice and facilitation of prosecution regarding copyright infringement and conducting opposition proceedings. Our deep professional experience and expertise in Dispute Resolution and Commercial Law combined with our understanding of the workings of the Nigerian entertainment and media industry enhances our capacity to provide timely legal solutions to nagging issues in the Industry.
- Successfully represented clients on appeal at the Federal High Court whose registration of a Mark at the Trademark Registry was refused by the Registrar of the Trademark Registry.
- Representing a royalty collecting society in actions to enforce their rights against competitors, regulators and others at both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal.
- Advised a Nigerian Content Provider on its cross – border agency transaction with a US/Europe based global entertainment corporation;
- Advised a multinational entity on technology transfer and distribution transaction with a US based manufacturer.
- Defended a claim against infringement of copyright of a commercial manual used to promote an electronic paying system.
- Handled a case involving the enforcement of intellectual property rights through anton pillar orders and claims for accounts of profit, injunction and damages by a multinational building material manufacturer.
- Advised on an international transaction involving exclusive franchise agency and distribution of protected goods in US, China and Europe.
- Regularly advised several entities in China, Europe and USA on intellectual property protection, administration and enforcement in Nigeria.
- Routinely advised on registration, licensing, set up, tax and regulatory compliance services in IT, telecommunication, entertainment concerns.
- Advised on a wide range of sporting and performance contracts between clubs and organization performances, talent development, project sponsorship and management.
- Advised on agency management and promotional arrangements involving artists, sports persons, entertainers and their partners.