Theophilus is a Partner in the Firm’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He obtained his LL.B (Hons.) degree from Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma in 1994 and was called to the Nigerian Bar on 22nd March, 1995.
He has had prolonged and intensive dispute resolution experience in the law firms of Colins Aimuan & Co., Tony Merah & Co., Messrs. Layi Babatunde & Co., and Messrs. Clarke, Paiko & Co. At Messrs. Clarke, Paiko & Co., he was the Head of Chambers of the firm until he joined Alliance Law Firm as a partner in November, 2016.
Theophilus heads a team of lawyers in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group of the Firm. As a core litigation lawyer, his responsibilities include advising clients on various aspects of the law, drafting of pleadings & writing legal opinions, written addresses and briefs of arguments and managing assigned tasks to team members.
Over the years, Theophilus has acquired a wealth of experience in litigation arising from various fields of law, such as: Labour Law, Family Law, Banking, Commercial Law, Constitutional Law, Oil & Gas Law, General Civil Law, Law of Contracts, Law of Torts, Land Law, etc. In addition, he has developed considerable skills in research, writing, legal drafting and advocacy. In particular, he is versed in the arts of cross-examination and brief writing.
Theophilus appears regularly at the Federal and State High Courts, National Industrial Court, Investments and Securities Tribunal, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Nigeria. Worthy of mention is his participation in an international arbitration before the Arbitral Tribunal of the Netherlands Arbitration Institute, Rotterdam in Case No. 4075 between New Skies Satellites B. V. and Daar Communications Plc.
Some of the cases in which Theophilus was involved in and have been reported in various law reports include the following cases:
- Mark V. Abubakar (2009) 2 NWLR (Pt 1124) 79;
- Mrs Mudasiru V. Abdullahi (2011) 7 NWLR (Pt 1247) 591;
- Feed & Food Farms (Nig) Ltd V. NNPC (2009) 6-7 SC 1;
- Major Bello Mogaji V. The Nigeria Army (2008) 2-3 SC (Pt. Pt. II ) 146;
- Senator Ladoja V. INEC & Ors (2007) 7 SC 99; (2007)12 NWLR (1047) 119;
- Senator Ladoja V. INEC & Ors (2007)12 NWLR (1047) 97;
- Ibikunle V. State (2005) 1 NWLR (Pt. 907) 387;
- Saidu Ahmed & 2 Ors V. Central Bank Of Nigeria(2012) 7 SC (Pt. II) 1; (2012) LPELR – 9341 (SC);
- Afrilec v. Charles Lee (2012) LPELR – 7872 (CA); (2013) 6 NWLR (Pt. 1349) 1.
- National Population Commission V. Mr. O. O. Williams (2016) LPELR-41492 (CA); and
- Thomas Kingsley Securities Ltd & Anor. Securities and Exchange Commission & 9 Ors.(2013) 1 SDJJOJ 6-7 (Selected Dicta and Judgments of Hon. Justice Okechukwu J. Okeke)
- First Bank Ltd v. Resort Int’l Ltd (2020) 5 NWLR (Pt. 1718) 391 (CA).
In addition to the above cases, other cases which Theophilus conducted which are not yet reported include:
- Korean National Oil Corporation & 4 Ors V. The President of The Federal Republic of Nigeria & 5 Ors;
- Owel Petroleum Services Nigeria Limited V. Korea National Oil Corporation & 9 Ors; Mr Elias Antoun Dahboul V. The Governor of Kano State & 2 Ors;
- Alhaji Alhassan Aminu Dantata & Ors. V. Mr Elias Antoun Dahboul;
- Apapa Local Government Council V. National Clearing and Forwarding Agency & Anor;
- National Clearing and Forwarding Agency & Anor. V. Apapa Local Government Council; and
- Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation V. Marcon Steel Company Limited & Anor.
Some of the articles, he authored are:
- “The Rule of Law and Restriction on Assets of Politically Exposed Persons in Nigeria: Executive Order No. 6 of 2018 in Perspective” (2019) vol. 10(2) The Gravitas Review of Business & Property Law; and
- “The Court of Appeal: Jurisdiction, Rights of Appeal and Procedure” (2020) vol. 11(1) The Gravitas Review of Business & Property Law, which he co-authored.
In addition to law practice, Theophilus is an ordained Minister of the Redeemed Christian Church of God. He is a mentor to dozens of young lawyers and Christian Youths.
Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma (LLB)
Nigeria Law School (BL)
Nigerian Bar Association
International Bar Association